Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Sunday

10. Travel Insurance

One of the most important things you must have when travelling overseas is travel insurance. When I travel around Australia, I never take out travel insurance, and when I went to New Zealand three years ago, I didn't take out travel insurance then either. As it turned out, I tripped on three concrete steps and did my left leg in.

The hotel I was staying in took me to the local Medical Centre in Queenstown. (I should point out, I had pre-booked and pre-paid for all my accommodation in NZ and was booked into YHA Lakeside Queenstown for six nights. On arriving there, to cut a long story short, someone from the other YHA in Queenstown had rung them five days previously cancelling my booking. I kicked up a big stink, demanded the manager came and promised them heads would roll - I remember saying "Believe me, somebody's head will roll" So - the manager came, there was not a bed to be found anywhere in any hostel in Queenstown, so they put me up at their expense, at a hotel. I had to pay the amount it would have cost me at the YHA (someone had even refunded the amount back onto the credit card) - I heard later that the person responsible was sacked. A few people suggested perhaps she had a friend who wanted a bed and cancelled my booking for that reason. Anyway, that is why I was staying in a hotel)

Anyway, to get back on track, New Zealand has something in place where tourists can't sue (there's a proper name for it but I can't remember it) whereby medical treatment is provided free.

Going to New Zealand is one thing, but travelling anywhere else it is really important to make sure you have adequate travel insurance. After asking the advice of others I did some checking. My car insurer offer travel insurance - it was only $59 but the problem was they have a $200 excess for every claim. Plus they didn't cover certain things - replacement of personal effects - like money/cash stolen, replacement of credit cards/visa cards, passports and travel documents. Their health coverage wasn't all that good either.

A friend suggest YHA Travel - I had looked at their website but initially had thought no - because it was much higher. After going through the policy online I came to the conclusion what's the point of only having to fork out $59 - if nothing happens you're alright, but, if something did happen, you'd be up for a $200 excess and if your money was stolen then forget it - you could kiss that money goodbye.

So - I looked at other suggested Travel Insurance companies and decided to go with YHA Travel. Being a YHA member we get 25% discount. They use QBE Insurance and people who had insured with them said they had no problems when making a claim. For the International Insurance they have two policies - $117 with a $100 excess, or $129 with $0 excess. Yours truly opted to pay the extra $12 and have $0 excess. Not bad considering for a mere $12 you don't have to pay any excess fees. Being a member I saved $43 (it would have cost me $172 had I not been a YHA member)
Important things to remember
a) Make sure your insurance offers good hopsital/medical cover
b) Cover for lost/stolen cash/credit cards etc
c) Cover for loss of passports
d) Cover for accommodation if your plane is delayed - with YHA Travel/QBE, if your scheduled flight is delayed six hours or more they will pay for accommodation.
e) Luggage - do they replace lost/stolen luggage.
f) Most importantly read the fine print and if you're not sure of the fancy wording, ask questions.

Total $129.00

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...