Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Sunday

6. Accommodation

An edit update - Warning: Do not stay at the Old Penang Guesthouse in Penang or Klang Travellers Lodge (formerly Daniel's Travellers Lodge) in Tanah Rata. (Edited on 25th March)


Not having been to Asia before, I was all at sea as far as accommodation went. When I travel around Australia I stay in YHA hostels - dorm share. For my trip to New Zealand I did the same thing. I love staying in a dorm, firstly it's cheaper than a single room and secondly, it's so much more fun when you're travelling solo. You get to meet other people and don't have to spend your time alone. It's comforting to know there are others in the same room. Apart from a couple of hostels which weren't YHA's, I've always stayed in a female dorm. In other words YHA hostels have male and female dorms, many other hostels have mixed dorms.

There are very few YHA places is Malaysia, I found one in Penang but it was dearer than some budget hotels. I asked on a travel forum for advice and although there weren't that many suggestions, I looked up some and settled on Old Penang Hotel in Penang, Klang Travellers Lodge (formerly Daniel's Travellers Lodge) in Tanah Rata and a friend who I see each day on the way to work advised Heeren House in Melacca. She and her husband had stayed there in 2008 and loved it.

I had contacted Tourism Malaysia in Melbourne and their advice for Penang was
Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, which although lovely and I would love to have stayed there, was way out of my price range. That's why I settled for Old Penang Hotel in Love Lane.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...