Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Sunday

13. Food - Cambodia

Not being able to eat curry or spice foods and having an aversion to coconut milk, it appears I may have a bit of a time finding foods that don't fall into these categories. I really wish I did like curry and spicy foods, but I just can't eat them, although I have tried - the experience left me with steaming eyes and nose and a burning like a red hot fire in my mouth and throat. Woe is me.

After asking and being given some info, it appears there are some things I can try and I do so want to try the local foods. No amok, but eat the luk lak (cubed beef in sauce w/rice). Lots of steamed rice, chicken, meats, and fish. Cambodian iced coffee I'm told is 1/3 condensed milk - very sweet, and as I drink both tea and coffee without sugar, I shall forgo this delicay. Many places on Sivatha Blvd with good Khmer food but avoid Pub street I'm told.

There's supposed to be a good one up in the Wat Bo area (where I'm staying) called Arun restaurant which is run by Arun guesthouse. Have also been advised to stay away from Khmer Kitchen. Then there's something called ikan bilis, although I haven't the foggiest what it actually is. Evidently the guesthouse I'm staying at does very good Thai food.

So on the "To Eat" list we have -
1. French loaf of bread filled with pate, pork and vegetables.
2. Luk lak
3. Steamed rice with chicken, meats, and fish.
4. Pates and roasts are quite good - a good value filling snack.
5. Sivatha Boulevard - good Khmer food.
6. "Nom pang" hawkers
7. Pub Street is aimed at tourists and the Red Piano gets many customers cos that's where Angelina Jolie's crew members went (for drinks)!

So all in all, I should be able to survive and as a family member pointed out yesterday - you can always go to McDonald's! Huh, I don't even eat McDonalds here. Methinks a packet of SALADAS - that's dry bikkies and a jar of VEGEMITE will come in handy as "emergency" food.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...