Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Thursday

35. Kuala Lumpur Central Market

I made my way back to the bus stop and it was at this point I found I had gone the (very) long way around. Cutting through a side street on my left and using a large building as a sort of landmark, I found myself back to not far from where I started. Next on my "must do's" was the Central Market. The photo below isn't all that great but it's the only one I have - there are so many cars and people walking it isn't easy to get a shot without them.

Above: Central Market

The market was lovely, full of umbrellas over the outside stalls, and going inside the building was ---Ah, air conditioning! It was welcome after the heat (remember I had only arrived that morning and was still adjusting to the change in climate) and I found after five or ten minutes the body gradually cools down. I wanted to buy something from here - a momento of Kuala Lumpur and I knew just the thing - a fan!

Above: Silk Fan
A friend back home had recommended I take a fan with me to combat the everlasting heat. Walking around Central market I saw many lovely things - bracelets, embroidered silks, clothes, knick knacks, object d'art, beautiful jewellery, and - fans. There were many at this particular stall but I had eyes only for one - the fan you see above. It is made of silk and bamboo and I loved the colours and timelessness of the picture.

On asking the price, the lady said MYR35. Here was my very first experience at "haggling" - you know, where the seller says one price and you say a lower price, then the two of you go back and forth until a price that is acceptable to both parties is agreed upon. Anyway, the lady looked at another lady who nodded her head slightly and we settled on MYR20. The proprietaries had been preserved and nobody had "lost face". I was very happy with my purchase and it came in very handy over the coming weeks.


Above: Silk Fan - back
These Chinese characters are on the back of the fan.


Above: Kuala Lumpur scenes
It was time to head back to the airport, and crossing over the road I waited for the Tourist bus. Above are some scenes I saw from the window. Arriving back at Sentral Station, I made my way downstairs to get the bus back to the airport.


Above: The Air Asia Bus
The Air Asia bus which runs between LCCT airport and Sentral Station. Traffic was pretty heavy and after a long day walking around it was good to finally sit back and relax.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...