Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Saturday

40. Preah Promreah Pagoda - 2

Around Siem Reap town
Although only having been in Cambodia less than two hours, I understood why friends had said sandals would be much better than thongs or crocs. It was very hot and I sat on the balcony and had a nice hot cup of tea. The time was now 9.40 am (Cambodia time) and I was undecided whether to go to the temples now or wait till after four o'clock and see the sunset, and only have to pay $20 for a one day pass.

Might ask the driver to take me around town. Asked Da would my driver drive me around town, she beckoned him over and I was asked what did I want to see? I knew I wanted to see the Old Market and the garden of the Royal Palace and generally drive and walk around the streets. I told Pookeah "This is your country - you show me your country" to which he replied, "You want to do a country tour?" I didn't, that wasn't what I had had in mind at all, but I didn't know how to convey this without sounding rude.

After consultation with Da who suggested would I like to see a silkworm farm? - yes I would, it was decided. And so - we set off. We crossed over the lovely bridge and drove along the river. We stopped at this magnificant looking colourful place and my driver said he would wait for me here, in the same place he dropped me off. We were outside Preah Promreah Pagoda. (He said it wasn't a temple, it was a pagoda.)

Above: View of the compound from the street.
Opposite the Siem Reap River is Wat Preah Prom Rath Temple and Pagoda - the largest and most astounding pagoda in Siem Reap town, Cambodia. This was my very first experience of temples or pagodas and my jaw dropped with the splendour of it all. (I could almost hear Mary Poppins saying, "Close your mouth Michael - we are not a codfish!") I saw the most beautiful and intricate things I've ever seen in my life, highly decorated mouldings, all in perfect condition and undamaged.

Above: The gardens
The landscaped and sculpted gardens you see above are only a fraction of what I saw. Lovely bright flowers, delightful displays of exotic plants. In the top left photo is a monk walking slowly along a path.


Above: Stupas and Buddhist artworks
The photo above left shows stupas, the middle one is of a decorative peacock, while the photo on the top right is of Naga - the multi-headed serpent.

 
Above: Wat Preah Prom Rath bridge with Naga

Naga
Naga is a mythical multi-headed serpent with a large crested head resembling a cobra, symbolising might, wealth, prosperity and fertility and is guardian of the Buddha and protector of earthly waters.

Take off your shoes!
As I approached the temple (second photo in post 39), I knew to remove my sandals before entering. It is considered a sign of disrespect to enter the temples wearing shoes/sandals/etc. I happend to meet Lisa and her husband and we had a chat about what we had seen so far and what our respective agendas were. We had met earlier at the airport.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...