Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Monday

15. Food - Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur

Pondering the question of "What to eat in Malaysia which won't send me running to the nearest water well to rid the burning sensation in my mouth" saw me asking advice on this gastronomic adventure.

Grilled meats and fish was one of the first answers. Evidently Chinatown in KL is good and someone said they had very good Chinese in KL which was very fresh and that it was on a corner in the same block as the Swiss Inn hotel (not the market end), had very cold cheap beer plus a couple of "extrordinarily bad con men". This is good to know - just be on the lookout for the Swiss Inn hotel, people guzzling beer and some dodgy characters hanging around!

Northern Indian food so I've been informed, is less spicy than Southern Indian and Muslim Indian food. Methinks I'll just stay clear of any Indian food - went to a lovely Indian restaurant with friends a couple of years ago, was advised by Frank and Wayne who are great cooks, which dish was the least spicy. Ordered it and found that I still couldn't hack it. Picked out the bits of beef and tried wiping the sauce stuff off with my knife, but the taste - and heat - lingered. I did eat the roti bread though, or mabye it was naan.

So, Chinese cuisine, and if I do eat Malaysian foods stay away from sambals. This is good to know - don't go near the sambal. Hmm..."Don't go near the sambal" sounds like the name of a song.

The food at KL airport is said to be very good, something called Laksa at a noodle place. I'll have to look into this. Also Hainanese chicken.

You may recall I mentioned Ikan bilis - just found out it is dried anchovies.

Eating in Kuala Lumpur
a) Chinatown
b) Near Swiss Inn Hotel for noodles
c) LCCT airport - Hainanese chicken?
d) Buy food staples for emergencies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...