Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Monday

17. Food - Malaysia, Cameron Highlands (Tanah Rata)

Next stop is Tanah Rata in the Cameron Highlands. Although small in comparison with KL and Penang, Tanah Rata appears to be the largest of the hill stations/towns in the CH and has quite a number of eating places.

Hot pot Chinese style steamboat (chicken stock) which is served with a wide selection of locally grown vegetables and mushrooms sounds delicious, and there are road side fruit stalls selling local fruits - star fruit (carambolla), guava, tree tomatoes, Malayan apples (jambu ayer), mandarin oranges, pomelo, custard apples, chikus,(sapodillos), pineapples, water melons and mangoes.

When I was in Cape Trib I went to an exotic fruit farm and tasted delicious tropical fruits, and I really liked the pomelos and mangosteens, but I'm not sure if mangosteen will be in season when I'm in Malaysia. I have it on good authority not to try durian - it is, I'm told, an acquired taste and has a unique odour which many find overpowering and offensive. It's been banished from some hotels and public transport in S/E Asia. In other words, if you eat durian, do so at your own peril - if you eat it everyone will know - they'll be able to smell you a mile off!

Strawberries with clotted cream eaten in front of a blazing fire. I'm told there are several places that serve this - Bala Chalet, T Cafe and the Olde Smokehouse Inn Hotel.

To sum up Tanah Rata dining
a) Hot pot Chinese style steamboat
b) Tropical fruit locally grown
c) Strawberries with clotted cream - Balas, T Cafe and the Old Smokehouse.
d) Tea from the local tea plantations.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...