Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Wednesday

69. Welcome to Penang

When I had booked my flights, there were several going to Penang and not knowing how long it would take to clear customs at KL, I booked the 4.30pm flight. As it turned out, I could have booked an earlier one.

I had checked in online at my guesthouse in Siem Reap the night before, but hadn't actually looked at the details. After clearing customs and realising I had ages before my flight, I asked at the Air Asia desk if I could change it to an earlier one. The answer was no - I'd have to buy another ticket, so I gave up with that idea. Had I looked properly at my printed online checkin then , but no, I didn't.

Above: Aerial view of Penang

Comes time to go to the counter and put my luggage through - then came the bombshell - Air Asia had cancelled the 4.30pm flight and put me on a flight which would see me arriving in Penaang around 10pm at night. This I did not like at all, stated my reasons but the girl could do nothing, she said it was too late to get me on the 3 o'clock flight but said I could leave my luggage with her - she ticketed it ready for the 9.00pm flight and placed it behind the counter. My big complaint was I had checked online several times before starting my holiday and there was nothing about my flight being cancelled - not even an email from Air Asia. Had there been I would have contacted them and asked to be put on an earlier flight. She advised me to see the Air Asia supervisor at desk 7.


Above: Aerial view of Penang
So I go there, speak to the chap, explanations given and he couldn't have been more helpful. He looked at the clock, said he'd put me on the 3 o'clock one. Of course when time is short, something always seems to come up - someone rang, another Air Asia personnel person came to speak with him and all the time I'm saying 'please God let him hurry up' and wishing there were no more interruptions.

Lady Luck was on my side and he handed me my ticket saying he would make sure my luggage was put on board.

Above: Penang Airport
The airport was much smaller than the bustling one in KL.



Above: School children
It was Malaysian school holidays and there were children everywhere with smiling, happy faces. On my way out, I picked up a few tourist brochures including an accommodation brochure which as it turned out was a very wise decision.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...