Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Thursday

58. Bayon - 1

Don't pat the monkeys!

After leaving Angkor Thom we were on our way to the next temple - the Bayon, that wonderful temple with many faces. Along the way you'll see many monkeys on the side of the road and I just had to get a photo. Zola stopped and warned me not to get too close and "Don't touch monkey - he bite." This was evidenced by some not so lucky tourists who decided what cute little fellows - let's pat the monkeys! Silly people, they really should listen to what they're told.


 
Above: Monkeys on the Bayon road
I kept a respectful distance as I watched these "cute" little fellows. They can be very annoyed if you have food and don't give it to them and they ran about taking peoples things. They were fun to look at though, it isn't every day you get to see wild monkeys up close - for that is what they are..wild. They are not tame and don't be fooled into thinking they are. Like anything, if you treat them with respect and not get in their face, you'll have a fun time and happy memories.

 
Above: Bayon inscribed stone
I was so excited as we arrived at Bayon and I was delighted to see this stone inscribed with the word "Bayon". There was a timber bench seat to the left where you could sit and take a breather and to the right is where I climbed to walk to the temple. It's quite a high step up too, so watch those knees!☺


 
Above: Policeman
This nice policeman was happy to pose for a photo when I asked him. I've heard and read a lot of things about the Cambodian police, but I have to say I found them to be very polite and helpful.

 
Above: The Bayon
The Bayon is located in the center of the city of Angkor Thom and was built 100 years after Angkor Wat.

Bayon history
The beautiful Bayon which lies in the middle of the Kingdon of Ankgor Thom was built by Jayavarman VII at the end of the 12th century/early 13th century and was his official state temple. The Bayon was the last state temple to be built at Angkor, and the only Angkorian state temple to be built as a Mahayana Buddhist shrine dedicated to Buddha, although after his death, later kings altered and added to it reflecting their Hindu and Theravada Buddhist religious preferences.

For example - during the reign of Jayavarman VIII in the mid-13th century, the Khmer empire reverted to Hinduism and its state temple was altered accordingly. In later centuries, Theravada Buddhism became the dominant religion, leading to still further changes, before the temple was eventually abandoned to the jungle.


Above: Aspara on lintel
The best of Bayon are the bas-reliefs on the exterior walls of the lower level and on the upper level where the stone faces reside. This lintel above one of the doorways shows three aspara in the Khmer dance position. The two figures on the left are intact but the third has been partially destroyed.

Above: Walking through the arch
When I was approaching this arch, a young Cambodian chap came towards me and said he'd show me the temple and take me through. I asked him pardon? He said he'd show me the temple and I said oh alright, thinking he was just going to point one or two things out and then leave. Huh! I coudln't get rid of him. After five minutes or so, I thanked him and said, "Bye" but he was like a limpet - he stuck to me like glue.

All he did was talk - he never stopped talking and this annoyed me because instead of being able to think about what I was seeing, I had his voice in my ear the whole time. Not only that, I didn't get to go where I wanted - I didn't wish to appear rude, but didn't know how to detach myself from him. I did try by saying something like, well thankyou that was kind of you and trying to walk away, but it didn't did any good.

An important lesson
When exploring the temples, when someone comes up to you and says they'll show you around, just smile and say firmly, "No thank you I want to go through by myself." For all his constant nattering, there are only two things I remember - a) the faces are the king and god, and b) this is a linga.



Above: Archways
As I went through this arch, I noticed the delicate carving on the right hand side of the portal which includes asparas and gods. to the left of this is a row of balusters.


Above: The Bayon
It was awesome just standing here looking at all this majesty. You can see seven of the many towers for which the Bayon is noted. On either side of the main entrance are the remains of what was once statues of the gods, and to the far left several people were examining the carvings. Quite a lot of stone pieces have fallen and were lying around the grounds.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...