Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Tuesday

53. Angkor Wat -1. Sunrise

In the middle of the night

I woke at 2.00am, went back to sleep, then woke at 3.00am, had coffee on the balcony. Couldn't sleep. I seemed to be wide awake. I think it was the excitement that made my brain work in over-drive - today was the day - the day I would spend at the temples starting with watching the sunrise over Angkor Wat. I was too excited to sleep, so I just mooched around doing nothing, although I did go through countless cups of tea and coffee.

Numerous teas later and enough ciggies to start a fire, it was time (finally) to get ready and set off. I'm sure my stomach was sloshing around like the Pacific Ocean, I'd drunk so much!

A new driver
Going downstairs I looked around for my driver but didn't see him. A fellow came and introduced himself to me, telling me his name was Zola and he would be my driver today. I asked why, where was Pookeah. His answer? "Mr. Pookeah busy at home today." I thought this cryptic answer rather strange and felt some trepidation getting into a tuk tuk with an unknown fellow. I questioned him further but he didn't elicit any more information other than "Mr. Pookeah is busy at home today and cannot come." (I did wonder if Pookeah was annoyed with me for staying so long at the Silk Farm yesterday and changed drivers because of it.)

5.30 and all's well
So used to call the time keepers of the 18th century - we left at half past five, the morning air was lovely and cool - well warm actually but very pleasant and coolish with the wind fanning my face. We made our way along that long avenue where I'd been driven the night before, and turned left. The moat on the right was hazy with early morning - that time between night and dawn.

Zola pulled over and said he'd be waiting "Over there" to pick me up. I made my way slowly along the long causeway.

Above: Angkor Wat before dawn
This was my first visit to Angkor Wat and I was struck with the wonder of it all. I was here - here at Angkor Wat where so many other thousands of visitors had stood and walked. It was one of the most amazing feelings in my life. In the middle (well almost) of the night - hundreds and hundreds of other souls just like me here to see the sun as it comes up over Angkor Wat.


Where's the best place to see the sunrise?
I didn't have a guide (I didn't want to fork out US$25 for some bloke to walk around with me saying see this, see that) - I preferred to do it at my own pace. Walking and mingling among the people, I noticed a few guides with their quarry and tried to listen in. Eventually I asked a man where's the best place to see the sunrise? He pointed to my left and said, "Over there, in front of the water."

I slowly made my way down and saw many chairs all placed in a semi-circle on the left hand side - the front row almost touching the water's edge. People had breakfast and drink bottles, people were sitting on the ground, so I found a spot, sat down and waited.


 
Above: The sun shyly peeps over the horizon
In the interval between sitting down and the first glow of a new dawn, the colours of the sky changed - blue, pink, mauve and as the sun shyly peeped over the tower it was awesome. Everybody stood entranced to the exclamations of "Oohs" and "Aahs".

You could hear a pin drop, so quiet was it. Faces focused to the east, all with the one intent - to witness the dawning of a new day. The glorious colours and hues of the sun, the sky and the shimmering reflection in the water.

Above: Changing sky colour
There were many shades of pinks but this was only time the sky was filled with a golden glow.


Above: The sun between the towers
The sun's reflection in the water was like a fiery beacon amid a sea of pinks - pink sky, pink water.

Above: Sun between the second and middle tower
The sun gradually moved and appeared between the towers of Angkor Wat.

Above: Sun behind the middle tower
You can see the sun just peeping around the middle tower.

Above: Sun between the middle and the fourth tower
As the sun rose higher, the sky colour deepens and the brilliant rays emit a vivid orange/red.

Above: Sunrise
The sun has risen - let us rejoice. A new day has begun.

2 comments:

Davine said...

Oh I am so jealous - these shots are beautiful, amazing and everything in between.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Davine, it is an amazing place - the colours are more colourful and everything seems like you have stepped back in time. The rush of modern day worlds seem far away.
Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...